RE: Documents, Cars, Hills, and Valleys

From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:35:59 -0700
To: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
> There's a large class of http:-named resource for which the resource
can
> be exhaustively described by a content-typed bag of bytes. But there
are
> other resources (typically those that wrap databases, services etc)
for
> which we can never get a complete rendering of 'the thing itself',
only
> exchange messages with it. The document metaphor(*) seems too passive

Let's just acknowledge that "HTTP URL is an endpoint for
message-passing" or more simply, "HTTP URL is just a switchboard", is
widely regarded as abuse of HTTP.  Everyone admits that people abuse
POST this way, but most would agree that we should give people a better
way to do their "RPC and message passing".  Abuse of POST hurts more
than just the semantic web.