RE: Documents, Cars, Hills, and Valleys

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:22:18 -0700
To: "'Sean B. Palmer'" <sean@mysterylights.com>, "'Joshua Allen'" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
I'm on the document side. The "http" URL scheme is defined
in the HTTP protocol document, it identifies the "resource"
that the HTTP server is supporting. I know of no HTTP
servers that connect to people, and few that connect to cars.
If you use HTCPCP you can have a HTTP server that connects
to a coffee pot, but even then, you only get a fairly
limited view of the coffee pot's state.

If you really want a URI for a person or a car, you have
to make up a new kind of scheme. (I'm starting to take
"tdb" more seriously, cf. http://larry.masinter.net/duri.html).

Based on feedback from Brian McBride, I even fixed up the
discussion of RDF and whether RDF needs it.

I think the hash/slash controversy is based on some
theory of "#" that is not based on its common use
and not supported by the defining documents.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net