Re: OPML+RDF/XTM?

This may be slightly off-topic for this thread... there is a (commercial)
utility called "MindManager" which creates "mind map" diagrams -- basically
a diagrammatic tree structure, but also supporting different annotations
and cross-links.  I often find it useful for making notes or capturing
ideas about a topic.

It also supports a VB(-like) scripting facility.  It has occurred to me
that it would be most useful and probably fairly easy to be able to
generate RDF from MindManager diagrams.

#g
--

At 12:28 AM 4/1/02 -0500, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
>[Danny Ayers]
>
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > >OPML, with its authoring tool, is really good for whipping up lists, but
>it
> > >doesn't help you with the two things that make authoring topic maps (or
>rdf
> > >graphs) by hand hard:
> > >
> > >1) Handling many-to-many relationships, and
> > >2) Keeping track of what you have already defined, linking them together
> > >properly, and avoiding duplication.
> >
> > hmm - I was thinking of an app slightly more aware than Radio's outliner,
> > which would certainly help on 2) (RDF query/db tools can do this, so why
>not
> > have one underneath the outliner?).
> > 1) I reckon is trickier though. Perhaps you could suggest a case or two
> > which would likely be problematic?
> >

>A good test case is managing browser bookmarks.  Every tool I have seen
>basically constructs a tree, and some of them are very good helping you do
>that.  What I really want to do, though, is to put a bookmark into multiple
>categories and to add comments and other annotation.  For example, take OPML
>itself as a concept.  Presumably is represented by a class or category, I
>might like to include the OPML home page under XML languages, List Builders,
>Information Organization, Dave Winer's Tools, and who knows where else?
>
>There is no way that OPML is going to let me represent this without
>extensions, and without duplicating the bookmark and its url many places.
>If you are going both to build your own interface and to extend the design
>of OPML, the value of using it seems small.
>
>To the extent that your set of triples are simple property lists, such that
>you can write them in hierarchical lists, OPML could be helpful.  But I find
>that's not what I usually want to do.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tom P

Graham Klyne