Re: Bitzi File Metadata RDF Dump

Graham Klyne wrote:

> At 07:37 PM 9/26/01 +0300, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
> >While URLs and URNs no longer are considered to represent disjunct
> >partitions of URI space, they still (to my understanding) are considered
> >to be valid and necessary concepts distinguishing between resources
> >which are expected to have some "physical" online realization and
> >those which are trully abstract.
> >
> >For those who haven't seen it yet, cf
> >http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-uri-clarification-20010921/.
>
> Er, the disjointness of URLs and URNs is one of the few definite
> distinctions that is asserted by that document:

If you really mean this disjointness to be considered as definite as all
that, you're going to have to say it in a more explicit way than either
of the two quotations below, particularly in view of the following, also
from Section 1.2:  "the view became that an individual scheme does not
need to be cast into one of a discrete set of URI types such as "URL",
"URN"..." , and the fact that "URI space was thought to be partitioned
into two classes:  URL and URN" is described as being part of the
"Classical View", not the "Contemporary View". Is the idea that:

a.  These distinctions were made in the past, and continue to be very
important, or
b.  These distinctions were made in the past, but are deprecated now, or
c.  something else?

Note that I'm not quibbling about the semantics as much as about the way
the semantics (whatever they are) are expressed.

--Frank