Re: Bitzi File Metadata RDF Dump

From: Gordon Mohr <gojomo@bitzi.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:55:47 -0700
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Regarding specifically the Bitzi "bitprint:" namespace:

The identifier is a concatenation of two different nonproprietary
cryptographic hashes -- and so is completely determined by the
content itself, rather than dependent on any centralized or
decentralized assignment processes.

We'd like to see Bitprints reused wherever helpful, and so want
no actual or suggested dependencies on our domain name. So I
currently think the best way for us to go is to register
the URN Namespace-ID "bitprint".

Part of one of our records might then look like:

  <rdf:Description rdf:about='urn:bitprint:3KIZIJB64XP3NCXAE4ISQZT3QNCTF7VDNK5UNR8ZPQ5MFASNGVB5MISV7ESUSB2MN5R3IY2'>
    <rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="http://bitzi.com/lookup/3KIZIJB64XP3NCXAE4ISQZT3QNCTF7VDNK5UNR8ZPQ5MFASNGVB5MISV7ESUSB2MN5R3IY2" />

That is, the record would be "about" the URN, but also include a
reference to our handy, predictable URL of human-readable
description.

- Gordon