RE: Semantic Web

Hi Gilson,

In a way I think you are highlighting an interesting area of the semantic
web (lower-case 's') - there is undoubtedly potential for use of
metadata-backed information to be used by inferencing machinery to provide
some amount of intelligence to agents, that will hopefully do some drudgery
for us. On the other hand, there is a vast increasing amount of information
around in digital formats that has little chance of corresponding metadata
being provided directly (at source, or by later human annotators) that the
inferencing machine can use. IMHO, this is where techniques that come from a
more 'numeric' background (the Bayesian stuff, cruder statistics, fuzzy
logic, neural nets - data mining, basically) have a place alongside (in
places where they simply cannot go) conventional knowledge representation
(predicate logic, frames, OO etc - expert systems, basically). At present,
integration between 'numeric' and 'logical' systems is pretty rare, but I
see no problem with 'phase 1' * of the semantic web using numerically
generated material (using Bayes or whatever) alongside manually generated
data to provide metadata for predicate logic based reasoners. If a person
uses <H1> for some characters, maybe that means something, add 1 to the
total. I am optimistic that the lines between the different approaches to AI
(and those techniques that actually provide the infrastructure of the web)
will blur.

BTW, I personally believe that the names Ralph S. and Ora L. are actually
codewords from alien intelligence. I've not yet been able to come up with
the anagram that will explain it all, but perhaps one day (with the help of
the SW) I will.

* phase 0 is the WWW

Cheers,
Danny.