Re: Refactoring RDF/XML Syntax W3C Working Draft

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:35:30 +0100
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
cc: tony_hammond@harcourt.com
>>>tony_hammond@harcourt.com said:
>
> Would be interested to know if anyone can say what impact the refactored
> RDF/XML syntax proposal will have on our application of RDF? We are using
> public identifiers (the DOI) to manage multiple resources and have an RDF
> Schema which describes a resource hierarchy whose principle semantics are
> structural (grouping, ordering, hierarchy). The bulk of the proposed
> refactoring seems to address the RDF container productions.

<snip/>

You should not be affected by the changes - we are mostly(*)
refactoring, or re-expressing the existing syntax.  The container
properties and classes (rdf:Seq, rdf:Bag, rdf:Alt) are loosing their
special forms in the syntax but entirely remain in the model.  This
makes the syntax easier to read and more consistent.  In some cases
it makes things legal that previously weren't, although there was no
good reason why they were not.

Dave

(*) There are a few syntax changes; please see the attention
developers section of the RDF Core WG Issues list at
http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#attention-developers