RE: RDFCore Update

Well, if you don't know what the data type of the literal
is, how can you test if it conforms to a range constraint?

I.e. there really is a fourth possible variant to the three
above, which seems to be what you are expecting. Namely

 <rdf:Description rdf:about="urn:foo:bar">
   <abc:someProperty>
     <rdf:Description>
       <rdf:type rdf:resource="x:dataType"/>
       <rdf:value>dataValue</rdf:value>
     </rdf:Description>
   </abc:someProperty>
 </rdf:Description>

 <rdf:Description rdf:about="abc:someProperty">
   <rdfs:range rdf:resource="x:dataType"/>
 </rdf:Description>

In which case, range validation could take place, since
we can compare the 'locally defined' data type with the
'globally defined' range (data type) of the property.

This ambiguity about whether rdfs:range is descriptive or
prescriptive (or both) was pointed out recently in a post
by Ora Lassila, and perhaps could be addressed in conjunction
with standardized methodologies/mechanisms for data typing.

Cheers,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler                      Phone:  +358 3 356 0209
Senior Research Scientist             Mobile: +358 50 483 9453