Re: RDFCore Update

Hi Brian,

Brian McBride wrote:

> One major area of focus for the WG at the moment is datatyping, e.g. using XML
> schema datatypes in RDF.  Now would be a good time to let us have your thoughts
> and ideas on this.
>
> Brian

I am currently diving deep into W3C XML Schema datatypes and, without

wanting to sound negative, I find them far from perfect...

This list is probably not the place to discuss pros and cons of W3C XML
Schema datatypes, but I think that the mechanism which will be defined
to bind the datatypes should be generic and extensible enough to allow
to bind other datatype systems (should any become available)!

I am not sure how relevant this is for RDF, but RELAX NG has also had to
solve the issue of "pluging" optional datatype systems into an "untyped"
model and this has been solved by attaching datatype libraries and type
information identified by a URI (for the library) and a NCName (for the
datatype in this library):

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/spec-20010917.html#data-pattern

My 0,02 Euros.

Eric