Re: RDF Schema questions

From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
Date: 08 Oct 2001 22:07:12 +0200
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Hi David, and thank you for your answers,

* David Allsopp
| [multiple statements vs using a bag]
| The example is given of a resolution approved by a committee, (and
| not necessarily each individual member of the committee). In this
| case it is stated that a Bag would be a better model.

Hmmmm. OK, I think think I get this. The distinction seems a bit
contrived to me, but it is probably because I've been brain-washed by
using topic maps for so long. I'll try to accept it and see where that
takes me.

| There is also the walkthrough at http://www.daml.org/ if you haven't
| already seen that.

I've seen that, I'm afraid, and it wasn't much help, I felt, nor was
the DAML specification. I'm used to learning things by reading specs,
but this one felt extraordinarily thin and unhelpful.

| Modelling in DAML is somewhat different to RDF Schema, although DAML
| _is_ an extension of RDF Schema.

How is modelling in DAML different from using RDF Schema, would you say?
(I'm just intrigued by what makes the extension different from the

* Lars Marius Garshol
| My last question is not really related to RDF Schema: are RDF
| statements also statements about the objects? That is, if I say
| (word-A, similar-to, word-B), should I then also make the opposite
| statement lest I imply that while A is similar to B, B is not
| similar to A?
* David Allsopp
| I think RDF makes no assumption either way - it is up to you. RDF
| doesn't allow one to specify inverse properties, so it isn't "wrong"
| in RDF terms to omit the opposite statement.

Why would I need to specify inverse properties if there is no implicit
assumption involved? What do I get by specifying an inverse property
using DAML that I wouldn't have if I didn't? Granted, generalized
tools would be able to understand more of my schema, but beyond that,
what would I gain?
--Lars M.