Re: Namespaces wihtout "#" Was: Few CWM Bugs

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:10:39 -0500
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
[Sean B. Palmer]

> I am arguing weakly that, from a practical POV, it's not a GoodThing
> to restrict people to HTTP URIs as documents, because often there will
> be utility in using the URI to identify the concept described by the
> document, and yet people can still refer to the document itself with a
> simple relationship. Of course, the counter argument is that if all
> HTTP URIs necessarily identify generic documents, we can still use the
> relationship the other way to talk about the concept... but I really
> do think that people should be given the choice.

This is what RDDL was trying to address, in a restricted domain.  When you
dereference the RDDL URL, you get a variety of "well-known" types of
information about the resource.

Let me pose a question here.  Is there a basic, conceptual difference
between:

1) Meta data about a resource (like the distinction between a book and one
specific copy of it - as in Sean's post: "But whoops... Aaron is already
using that URI to identify his copy of
Weaving The Web"),
2) Different predicates for asserting such distinctions, or
3) Special headers for announcing such a distinction

Cheers,

Tom P