Re: Domain/Range: conjuntion or disjuntion??

From: tarod@softhome.net
Subject: Re: Domain/Range: conjuntion or disjuntion??
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:16:35 GMT

>   Tricks almost never work as you hope, I agree with that. My point was,
> you can be sure that an instance of CarsAndMotos is instanceOf Car and
> instance of MotorCycle, but you can't not be sure that instance of Vehicle
> is instance of Car or instance of MotorCycle.
>
>   So, with CarsAndMotos I can simulate the conjuntion view of domains, but
> with Vehicles I can't simulate the disjuntion view of domains (and ranges).
>   For DAML projects, with CarsAndMotos you can perform inference without
> any problem.
>
>   Regards,
>          Marc

Yes, your trick is one-sided one way and the other trick is one-sided the
other way.  You claim that your trick captures everything you want, but
that does not necessarily mean that your trick does not lose anything.

In particular, suppose that I want to say the following:

	If something is in the domain of a property then it is allowable to
	have a value for the property.

This is not captured by your trick.

peter