Re: [Paper:] Logical Interpretations of RDFS - A CompatibilityGuide

Hello Peter!

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> My view of this paper is that it introduces a translation of the new RDF(S)
> model theory into Horn rules with stratified negation and then complains
> about characteristics of the result.  But are these complaints about the
> new model theory or about the translation?

Neither (by the way: note that the translation of the RDF(S) model
theory into the eighteen datalog rules does not require stratification,
though). It suggests that it might be reasonable to complain about the
loss of expressivity due to the decision of the RDF Core WG with respect
to domain/range constraints (ie, allowing to deduce types).

> The axiomatization for RDF(S)
> (http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm/daml-semantics/abstract-axiomatic-semantics.html)
> developed by Richard Fikes and Deborah McGuinness as part of the
> axiomatization of DAML+OIL deserves a look in this context.

Sure. From a DAML/OIL perspective, where it contributes to the
development of the spec (ie, has somewhat normative character), it is
certainly a very nice document. From the perspective of someone who
wants to understand what is intended by the existing RDFS spec (CR
admittedly), it's does not seem to be so, because it does not try to
justify the taken design decision by referring to the RDFS spec. And the
domain/range case may be considered as a good example that the spec(s)
leaves room for interpretation (and thus, justifying decision seem to be
a good idea). That was precisely what we tried in summer 2000, based on
the even older approach of Antoine in his RDF tutorial: to give a
justifiable datalog "axiomatization" - if you look into last years
document, you'll see that we cite the spec intensively for this matter.

> Peter F. Patel-Schneider
> Bell Labs Research
>
> PS:  Calling the interpretation you developed as the ``old interpretation''
> and the new model theory as the ``new interpretation'' is unnecessary and
> prejudicial.  It implies that your interpretation has some sort of official
> status.

No, it certainly has no official status. It was addressed to the RDF
community (when we wrote it in summer 2000), it was the first more or
less complete approach to interpret the RDFS specs from a more formal
perspective, it induced quite a bit of discussion
(http://nestroy.wi-inf.uni-essen.de/rdf/logical_interpretation/discussion.html
for some samples ) and it maybe even have influenced some people in
their work. So, when we mean "old interpretation" this is strictly
intended as an abbreviation for OUR "old interpretation" (though there
had not been a lot of complaining about its way to interpret the spec)
-- the reason is simply that the paper was titled "A logical
interpretation of RDF". Sorry if you got the impression of claiming an
official
status, that was not our intention.