RE: UML/XMI and semantic web

Yannis Kalfoglou wrote (in reply to Oliver Fodor):
> > [...] it is still unclear to me whether it is
> > possible/feasible to use UML as modelling language for onthologies
>
> check:
> http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/
> Vol-23/cranefield-ijcai99-iii.pdf
>
> for using UML as an ontology modelling language

Thanks for the citation Yannis.  A shorter URL for the same paper is
http://CEUR-WS.org/Vol-23/cranefield-ijcai99-iii.pdf

Also, here is a more recent paper following on from the one above:
http://www.semanticweb.org/SWWS/program/full/paper1.pdf
(This discusses generating an RDF schema and Java classes from an
ontology in UML in order to support the serialisation of knowledge
modelled as a UML object diagram).

This work uses UML in its own right as an ontology representation
language.  Another approach is to use UML as a graphical notation
for DAML+OIL.  The following two Web sites discuss projects taking
this approach:

http://ubot.lockheedmartin.com/
http://grcinet.grci.com/maria/www/CodipSite/codip.html

- Stephen