Re: Do these folks know about RDF?

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:43:01 +0100
To: "Sampo Syreeni" <decoy@iki.fi>, "William Loughborough" <love26@gorge.net>
Cc: "RDF interest group" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> I think that sort of thing qualifies as Them, so in fact
> they *are* in control.

But these kind of "standards" will no longer be necessary with the
Semantic Web. This particular endeavour is looking to produce a
standard, so for example, all database entires under "Amino_Acid" will
mean a certain standard thing. What the SW enables you to say is that
"Amino" in my particular database system is equal to your "Amino_Acid"
column, so as long as you spot the relationships, there's no need for
some centralized root of the ontology tree. Just make it up as you go
along, and use the inferences.

We can already make this Semantic Web inference type stuff work on a
demonstration level - it shouldn't be long before there are tools that
can handle this on a day-to-day industrial strength basis.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer