Re: rdf schema

Eric Lease Morgan <eric_morgan@ncsu.edu> wrote:

> In order enlist one or more vocabularies in my RDF I require RDF "schemas"
> to describe what the elements in the vocabularies mean. Examples include the
> Dublin Core (http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/dc.xsd) or anything I come up
> with myself.

It is felt by many that XML Schemas don't really apply very well to RDF. For
example, in your schema for Dublin Core you define elements of type string.
The problem with this is that Dublin Core elements can also be used like
this:

<rdf:Description dc:title="The story of q" />

or this:

<rdf:Description>
  <dc:title rdf:resource="#q">
</rdf:Description>

etc. So an XML schema (which deals with the format of the actual XML) isn't
as useful as an RDF schema (which deals with the underlying abstract model).