Re: N3 contexts vs RDF reification

From: "Murray Altheim" <altheim@eng.sun.com>

> > [1] http://robustai.net/mentography/TheLilyDone2Ways.gif
>
> Seth, I think your approach to this is quite interesting, but it's not
> really addressing two points philosophically, though this shouldn't be
> taken as a criticism because I don't know that it's *possible*. If you
> read Paul Prueitt's and Kevin Johnson's replies to me today on the
> topicmapmail@infoloom.com list, Paul at least agrees from a more formal
> ontological perspective, and Kevin's input seems to move in the same
> direction. Fun stuff nevertheless, and I think some good ideas are
> flowing.
>
> The two points are these:
>
>   1. You can't bridge the gap between reality and representation
>      of reality. ...[good stuff snipped...]  There's a great flaw in
>      believing one can capture universal truths inside of limited
>      representation systems, though this has never stopped anyone
>      from trying.

I totally agree.  But what you can do is to close ~a~ world, represent
things which are outside of the world with nodes which are inside of it, and
then encourage a communitiy of such worlds to communicate.  Please see my
thesis diagarm [2].

[2] http://robustai.net/mentography/CoherentExperience.gif

I have no commont on your second point .. perhaps it is out of my field of
expertise and\or interest.

Incidentally there is a group of us students and tool makers who are trying
to form a cross disciplinary mailing list where we can ask luminaries in
fields such as  semantics, formal logic, philosophy of mind, linguistics,
complexity theory, and computer science some questions about how to make
this emerging Semantic Web work.  We would like you to join our panel.   If
you (or the other estemeed recients of this email) feel you have the time,
please go to http://sw.blogspace.com/ and
subscribe your preferred email address.  The traffic is relatively low and
discussion is proceeding in a thoughtful and scholarly manner.  Eventually
we hope to have an associated wiki, where we can record in a interrelated
manner our hopefully growing understanding of these matters.

[3] Archives at http://sw.blogspace.com/archives/swkr/

Seth Russell