Re: deliverables?

Arjohn Kampman wrote:

> Murray Altheim wrote:
> > I've yet to be convinced that DAML is the right vehicle for "our" Semantic
> > Web. Oftentimes  are impressive for one reason or another,
> > but it helps to remember they weren't usually developed with the same set
> > of requirements. And damn, just too many cute military acronyms. Heavy OIL
> > and GRUNT. I won't say what that sounds like.
>
> FYI: OIL was originally developed in the context of the European IST-project
> "OnToKnowledge" (http://www.ontoknowledge.org/). Later, it was merged with
> DAML to create DAML+OIL, which actually inherited a lot of the ideas behind
> the original OIL. I don't think DAML+OIL should be considered the result of
> yet another fancy military project.

I understand that. The point I was trying to make (apparently not very
well) was that it's probably a good idea to see how the requirements of
these other projects match our own set of requirements, as it seems in
some of the cases I've read over they differ quite a bit on basis of
audience, complexity, system flexibility, central control, etc. Having
spent a little time with NASA (where everything is an acronym) it's
sometimes too easy to assume from the surface that a project matches
a perceived need. "Ontology" is really a pretty general term.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu