Re: Another argument for anonymous resources...

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:02:42 -0500 (EST)
To: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
cc: rdf interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Jan Grant wrote:

> ...albeit a quiche-eating one. It occurred to me that there are some
> things that we shouldn't attempt to assign URIs to. In an ironic twist,
> here's a link to an example:
>
> 	http://home.earthlink.net/~thebadger/prisoner.html

Otherwise known as...

<wn:Person 	xmlns:wn="http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Person"
		xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"
		foaf:prisonerCode="6" />

Yep, though there's no huge social difference between assigning a
number/ID as someone's "URI" versus relating them to a
number/mailbox/homepage/etc.

A lot of what we want URIs to do for us, we can do with other forms of
identifying expression (typically built from URIs... :) so there's no
escape, even for things that don't have URIs...

dan