RE: Article: SW = ( SM + SC )

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Lee Jonas wrote:

> I'd like to think that all this Semantic Web stuff is not just in order to
> create an intelligence that is comparable with a single human!
[...]
> But maybe I'm just being daft!

I reserve judgement on whether the more ambitious goals of the AI
community are 'daft'. But as far as Semantic Web goes, let's not confuse
our goals. Sure it would be nice and/or interesting if the (S)Web turned
into a huge pulsating hyperbrain, but let's get the basics done first.
Sitemaps, privacy policies, simple Web data query languages, news feeds,
quality ratings, subject-based Internet catalogues, digitally signed
metadata... these are the things that "Semantic Web 1.0" will be built from.

Crawl then walk then whatever comes next...

Let's get the "simple" stuff done first. It's not as simple as it seems...

Dan

--
http://purl.org/net/danbri/