Re: Problem with the list?

At 07:32 AM 3/13/2001 -0700, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>... should the list drop people after a single
>bounce?

no, and as far as I know none of our W3C lists have
the threshold set that low.  www-rdf-interest has a
threshold of 4 bounces.

>  The Net burps too frequently for that IMO.  I know that the mailman
>list admin software sets a configurable number of bounces after which it
>notifies the admin, which would allow that admin to check on things before
>dropping the subscriber.

No one at W3C has time to devote to "checking on things"
before telling the robot it's ok to drop a subscriber to a big
list such as www-rdf-interest.   (There are presently 467
addresses on this distribution list.)  Especially if this means
tracking bounces for, say, 24 hours, before taking remedial
action.

>  in a high-traffic period, a
>30-second network glitch could easily lead to 4 bounces.

yes, but what number *would* be adequate?  I suppose
a time-based threshold would improve matters.  I'll suggest
this to our systems team.  I'm not optimistic for a quick change.

-Ralph