Re: Again: Anonymous Resources

From: Lee Jonas <ljonas@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:37:46 -0500
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
[caught in spam trap -rrs]

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:40:43 -0500 (EST)
From: "Lee Jonas" <ljonas@acm.org>
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Subject: Re: Again: Anonymous Resources

Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com> wrote:
>Lee, what is the argument against naming every resource?
>If the idea of RDF is to let anyone talk about anything anywhere, then
>so-called anonymous resources should be part of this too.
>Giving them IDs lets others join in the party, so to speak.
>[ Aaron Swartz | me@aaronsw.com | http://www.aaronsw.com ]

I reiterate that if you want to refer to some arbitrary resource from
multiple places (or allow others to do so), you shouldn't make it
anonymous - give it a name.

However, consider the example the RDF M&S spec gives for qualified values.
It describes measurements as the coupling of the unit of measurement with
the quantity via an intermediary resource, e.g. 8-Kg, 128-Mb, 2-meters, etc.
In the words of Brian McBride, it would be draconian to insist every
[intermediary resource] was given a URI.