Re: How are statements grounded ?

From: <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:36:07 +0100
To: seth@robustai.net
Cc: GK@NineByNine.org, aswartz@upclink.com, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

> > [Graham]
> > Sooner or later, methinks, it is needed that statements are grounded in
> > "real-world" knowledge.  How do you suggest that such grounding may be
> > introduced into a system?
> >
> > (I propose it is through axiomatic facts and inference rules.)
>
> [Seth]
> I agree, it is needed.   I propose that practical "real-world" knowledge is
> grounded in the effective procedures of interacting active processes.
>
> Logic is great, but survival is better :)

Mathematics provides methods for reasoning: for manipulating
expressions, for providig properties from and about expressions,
and for obtaining new results from known ones. This reasoning
can be done without knowing or caring what the symbols being
manipulating mean. [David Gries & Fred B. Schneider]
Escaping into that space, and returning from it in a much
better shape can be a very effective survival mechanism :-)