Re: Spec doesn't talk about two-valued relationships

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:47:53 +0000
To: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Cc: RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 12:41 PM 3/9/01 -0600, Aaron Swartz wrote:
> >> If we don't add these properties, I think we'll see
> >> a ton of:
> >>
> >> <http://www.aaronsw.com/> bob:chocolateLover "0" .
> >>
> >> which is nowhere near as useful.
> > Why less useful?   I think you can make just as many inferences from
> > statements like this.  Maybe even more, because you'd be using a
> > domain-specific property with possibility for more precise domain/range
> > inferences.
>
>Because a generic system doesn't know whether 0 means false, or an address,
>or whatever.

It may be that we come at this with different worldviews/assumptions about
how systems might work, but it seems to me that that kind of "knowledge"
would be embedded in inference rules; e.g.

    <http://www.aaronsw.com/> bob:chocolateLover "0" .
    bob:SweetBrownStuff rdf:type bob:Chocolate.
->
    <http://www.aaronsw.com/> bob:doesNotEat bob:SweetBrownStuff

#g

Graham Klyne