RE: DAML Processing in Jess

From: Joe Kopena <joe@plan.mcs.drexel.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:39:14 -0400 (EDT)
To: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@btinternet.com>
cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Danny Ayers wrote:

> Is Jess still a bit locked license-wise? I've previously looked and there
> doesn't seem to be a totally open Java Rete source, but an alternative to
> coding one from scratch would always be to RMI into CLIPS, which also has
> performance potential...

For people thinking about using Jess: Yes, it's still got a fairly tight
license. You can download and play with a binary trial version for 12 days
or so. After that you need to ask for and process a licensing agreement
stating that you're doing research or working out a means of paying for it
if you're a commercial user. My lab director and I were just discussing
how to work with the license to use Jess in a class on intelligent
systems. A servlet providing a Jess service is one of the things we're
considering.

I guess the argument is that this license allows Sandia Labs to continue
to support development of Jess. Whereas CLIPS hasn't been in active
development for years (AFAIK), a new version of Jess with significant
improvements was put out just yesterday.

--
- Scarius
http://plan.mcs.drexel.edu/                            - ITCS Laboratory