Re: URI etymology

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
Date: 12 Jun 2001 16:46:57 +0200
To: Sean "B." Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Cc: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
On 12 Jun 2001 15:06:52 +0100, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
> > Yet, if you want to process both people and images in your
> > SW app, you run into trouble when you want to tell that the
> > person and the image have different names, [...]
>
> No, this is something which is highly contextual, and the main stream
> of my disagreement. The following can model this situation:-
>
>    :x a :Picture;
>       :returnedFrom <http://example.org/img>;
>       :date "2001-03-17";
>       :containsARepOf [ a :Person; :name :y ] .

Pardon me, Sean, but I don't understand how your example respond to
Sampo's problem.
If I understand Sampo well, he thinks (and I do) that there is a problem
when the *same* URI identifies two different things, like say, myself
and a picture of myself.

<myURI> a :Picture.
<myURI> a :Person.
<myURI> :containsARepOf <myURI>.

And even if you would argue that the context helps avoiding ambiguity,
absolute URIs interpretation should not vary with the context.
(I'm quite sure I read it somewhere, I'll find the URL back...)

  Pierre-Antoine