RE: What to do about namespace derived URI refs... (long)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Trent Shipley wrote:

>> 2) You cannot wish away (by virture of some definiton which is out of
>> channel) the fact that http://robustai.net/~seth/index.htm#Truth returns
>> some sting of bits and that the URL identifies that string of bits.  It
>> cannot do that and identify my Truth as the same time, without causing an
>> ambiguity.
>
>Um, isn't the return of anything or any behavior relative to a UR* a
>property of the "user agent" or application.

Consider what happens when you want to describe both a) that Seth's Truth is
equivalent to the Truth in some other ontology b) that the paragraph
identified as http://robustai.net/~seth/index.htm#Truth is not suitable for
young eyes. Both are valid, common applications of RDF. You do not seriously
suggest that we use the same URI reference, describing Seth's raunchy exposé
as the Truth and the Truth as something young people shouldn't be allowed to
see?

The concept and the text *need* to have separate identities, just as a
namespace and the schema defining some elements in that namespace need to be
different (one isA namespace, the other e.g. an XML document, with quite
different properties and connections).

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy, mailto:decoy@iki.fi, gsm: +358-50-5756111