Re: Settheoretical interpretation of the RDF-schema possible?

From: Christian Kruggel <kruggel@kbs.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:29:24 +0200
To: www-rdf-interest-request@w3.org, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Hi!

I try to figure out wether a settheoretical interpretation of the
RDF-schema is possible or not. I refer to both schema specifications
from 3. March 1999 and from 27. March 2000 as well. They show rdfs:Class
to be subClassOf rdfs:Resource and an instance (type) of itself.

This raises the question if then rdfs:Resource is also an instance of
itself for the property of being instance of oneself is a property of a
class and such properties are inherited along the subClassOf-relation.
If there was just one class that's an instance of itself this would be
no surprise. All objectoriented programminglanguages have to define such
a class. But it would be useless and confusing if the RDF-schema
specifies at least two classes to be instances of themselves.

At the moment I think that the RDF-schema enforces the equalization of
instances and classes for any subClassOf rdfs:Resource inherits the
propery of being instance of itself. Am I doing wrong?

Christian

Christian Kruggel       Phone: +49 511 762 19715
Universitaet Hannover   Fax:   +49 511 762 19712
http://www.kbs.uni-hannover.de/~kruggel
Institut fuer  Technische  Informatik, Abteilung
Rechnergestuetzte            Wissensverarbeitung
Appelstrasse 4   -  30167 Hannover   -   Germany