RE: Announcement: DAML Annotation Tool available for Download

From: Hart, Lewis <lhart@grci.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:04:25 -0400
To: Siegfried Handschuh <handschuh@acm.org>, www-rdf-logic@w3.org, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Siegfried - OntoMat looks very good. Unfortunately, it does not seem to work
with _DAML_ ontologies, rather is uses RDFS ontologies. What I mean by that
is just this....

In the sample ontology included with OntoMat you have the following
namespaces declared:
	<rdf:RDF
  	    xmlns:daml="http://www.daml.org/2000/12/daml+oil#"
  	    xmlns="#">

and this class:

	<rdfs:Class rdf:ID="Employee">
	    <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Person"/>
	    <!-- Restrictions omitted -->
	</rdfs:Class>

When the class is written as:

	<daml:Class rdf:ID="Employee">
		<daml:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Person"/>
		<!-- Restrictions omitted -->
	</daml:Class>

it no longer appears in the ontology browser window. The first class is
RDFS, but it is NOT DAML+OIL, the second is DAML put your tool ignores it!!

The sameClassAs property that linked daml:Class and rdfs:Class has been
removed from the DAML+OIL specification, so an ontology that has only
rdfs:Classes and rdf:Properties is not DAML. Or at least it is an ontology
with no daml:Classes or daml:Properties, which is not very useful as
DAML+OIL.

By the way, I have the same complaint with OntoEdit. Another fine tool, but
it does not produce DAML+OIL, rather it produces RDFS. (last time I looked)

How about an option on both of these tools to import/export DAML classes,
properties and etc?

Regards - Lewis
Lewis L Hart
GRC International                        lhart@grci.com
1900 Gallows Rd.                  Voice (703)506-5938
Vienna, Va 22182                    Fax (703)556-4261