Re: Range of values

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:10:43 +0100
To: rdf@oleary.demon.nl
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
At 09:16 AM 7/5/01 -0400, rdf@oleary.demon.nl wrote:
>Excuse a beginners question:
>I want to use RDF on the web site (escies.org) which carries data on
>components.  We are currently redesigning the search engine to allow
>parametric search,
>e.g. transistor with power rating between 1 and 2 watts.
>Can RDF be used to describe a range of values such as this?

It certainly can, but there's not yet any standard way to do this that I'm
aware of.

A simple approach would be to have properties like Power_low and
Power_high, but that means two new properties for every range-valued attribute.

Another way, which seems to be consistent with the intent of RDF design, is
to have a range value represented by a resource, with separate properties
for the low and high values;  it might look something like this:

    <rdf:Description about="http://example.org/Component/Transistor/xyzzy">

Many variations are possible, but if your solution fits within the general
RDF framework it should be reasonably easy to process with standard RDF tools.

Graham Klyne