Re: syntax-question-id-about

On Wednesday, July 11, 2001, at 01:04  PM, Stefan Kokkelink wrote:

> suppose I have an RDF Schema at http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/,
> (that means: base URI = "http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/")
> defining (in that document!):
>
> <rdf:Description ID="title">
> </rdf:Decsription>
>
> The resulting URI for this property is
> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title,
> right?
>
> If this is true and rdf:ID="..." is equivalent to
> rdf:about="#...", then
> <rdf:Description about="#title"> should result in
> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title too.
>
> Hm, am I missing something?

Apparently you are. Stating rdf:ID="foo" is the same as
rdf:about="#foo" so you're using the relative URI "#foo". If you
were to join this with any base URI, it would add #foo to the
URI if there was no fragment, otherwise it would replace the
fragment already there.

Here are some examples:

<#foo> and <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/> =>
<http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/#foo>

<#foo> and <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/#bar> =>
<http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/#foo>

This is implemented by many software packages, I keep a list at:

http://logicerror.com/uriImplementations

There's nothing RDF-special about this -- it's how URIs work.
They work the same way in your web browser too.

--
       "Aaron Swartz"      |           Blogspace
  <mailto:me@aaronsw.com>  |  <http://blogspace.com/about/>