Re: Dropping the redundant colon in N3

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:10:35 -0800
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
CC: jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com, www-rdf-interest@w3.org, champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr
Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> > That's easy, just parse periods embedded in words as part of the
> > word ... and don't allow uri to end in period ... i don't think i've
> > ever seen one that does.
>
> You can't control what the URI spec says is in a URI.

Well yes, but I wasn't trying to do that.  I was trying to define the parsing
rules for N3.  N3 could say that it recognizes only a subClass of URI (call them
ProperUri for lack of a better term) that do not end in period.   And while were
at it we could fix the namespace URI the same way:  define a subClass of URI and
call them ProperNamespaceUri all of which end with #.

Also I note that your <...> construct in N3 cannot be easily nested inside of
XML .. which i take as a real drag.  This too could be fixed by simply
eliminating it in N3.  See my N3+ sig below which I easily and (legitimately?)
have nested in XML.

<signature
       language="N3+"
       fromDictionary="http://webns.net/roughterms/#"
       context="#ThisEmailTrain"
       intent="#FYI">
Seth
   properName "Seth Russell";
   foaf:mbox mailto:seth@robustai.net;
   workingOn http://RobustAI.net/MyNetwork/index.html;
   workingOn http://robustAI.net/MyNetwork/StickeyCyberMolecules.html;
   wrote http://robustai.net/ai/symknow.htm;
   conjectures http://RobustAi.net/Ai/Conjecture.htm;
   affiliatedWith http://purl.org/swag/;
   affiliatedWith http://speaktomecatalog.com;
   lookingFor [Who:Person#x willProgram SemBrowser].
</signature>