Re: RDF use case: Extending and Querying RSS channels

From: Graham Klyne <GK-lists@ninebynine.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:47:42 +0000
To: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
At 09:01 PM 1/30/01 +0000, Dan Brickley wrote:
>Someone (who shall remain nameless) just told me RDF Site Summary([1])
>was all about ("mere") headline syndication, not meaty interesting
>Semantic Web
>inferency stuff. So I'm reminded to circulate this little note which
>describes the use of RSS as a pretty generic transport for
>application-specific Web data. Our example uses job descriptions, but
>I've come to think the same trick works for a suprisingly wide range of apps,
>eg shared bookmark feeds ([2]). The point of using RDF for RSS was that
>it allows us to do exactly this; mix application vocabularies within a
>common environment. RSS from this perspective goes way beyond headline
>syndication. For many apps, the RSS-specific constructs (rss:item,
>rss:channel etc) fall away. The important RSS-ish thing becomes the
>practice of sharing data this way, rather than the specific RDF vocab
>defined by RSS...

I'm tempted to say "isn't this obvious"?  (The use of RDF for sharing
application data in a modular, extensible, open-ended fashion as a
consequence of the general goals of RDF.)

Or am I missing something important (about RSS)?

Or maybe I just happen to have fallen into this way of thinking?  A
work-in-progress example of something I am developing can be found in "An
XML format for mail and other messages" at
This isn't immediately obviously an RDF design, but if you peek at appendix

I'll also note that the design of CC/PP follows a similar pattern, if I am
understanding your point correctly.

There are also some notes from an internal company presentation I gave
recently at

Are we talking about the same general approach here?