Re: RDF use case: Extending and Querying RSS channels

At 09:01 PM 1/30/01 +0000, Dan Brickley wrote:
>context:
>Someone (who shall remain nameless) just told me RDF Site Summary([1])
>was all about ("mere") headline syndication, not meaty interesting
>Semantic Web
>inferency stuff. So I'm reminded to circulate this little note which
>describes the use of RSS as a pretty generic transport for
>application-specific Web data. Our example uses job descriptions, but
>I've come to think the same trick works for a suprisingly wide range of apps,
>eg shared bookmark feeds ([2]). The point of using RDF for RSS was that
>it allows us to do exactly this; mix application vocabularies within a
>common environment. RSS from this perspective goes way beyond headline
>syndication. For many apps, the RSS-specific constructs (rss:item,
>rss:channel etc) fall away. The important RSS-ish thing becomes the
>practice of sharing data this way, rather than the specific RDF vocab
>defined by RSS...

I'm tempted to say "isn't this obvious"?  (The use of RDF for sharing
application data in a modular, extensible, open-ended fashion as a
consequence of the general goals of RDF.)

Or am I missing something important (about RSS)?

Or maybe I just happen to have fallen into this way of thinking?  A
work-in-progress example of something I am developing can be found in "An
XML format for mail and other messages" at
<http://public.research.mimesweeper.com/Messaging/draft-klyne-message-rfc822-xml-01c.txt>.
This isn't immediately obviously an RDF design, but if you peek at appendix
D...

I'll also note that the design of CC/PP follows a similar pattern, if I am
understanding your point correctly.

There are also some notes from an internal company presentation I gave
recently at
<http://public.research.mimesweeper.com/RDF/RDFMetadataForEndToEndContent.html>

Are we talking about the same general approach here?

#g