Re: FW: Cursors face defining moments on the Web

At 10:45 PM -0800 1/28/01, Joshua Allen wrote:
>"A series of deals will allow customers to access dictionary definitions
>and encyclopedia listings from anywhere on the Web with the click of a
>mouse."
>
>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4628955.html?tag=mn_hd
>
>From CNET.  I figure Dan Brickley at least would be interested.
>The semantic web may be birthing itself quicker than we think,
>and the midwives delivering it may not even be aware of RDF.
>Something like this one is certainly brain-dead easy to implement
>atop IE or Netscape (I'm surprised it took this long for someone to
>do it).  And I've a notion that this is just going to encourage a
>bunch more people to try out other similar things.  All without
>paying attention to RDF's lessons learned.  Does this concern
>anyone?  Any ideas?
>
>-J

My company has been working on a service, LinkBaton, in the same
space as Comet, flyswat (the NBCi thing), nano, etc, but working with
books, stocks, journal articles. We used RDF in a previous linking
metadata project, but in developing LinkBaton, we saw no advantage to
using RDF at all. Clearly the back-end services- Mirriam-Webster,
Britannica,  targeted by things like Comet could make use of RDF in
managing their knowledge bases, but the lack of support for RDF in
content management systems would seem to preclude that, too.

I'm curious: which of "RDF's lessons" do you mean? What possible use
of RDF could there be for Comet?

Eric

Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.