Re: RDF Terminology and Concepts notes...

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Graham Klyne wrote:

> [freed from spam trap.  -Ralph]
>
>  Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:45:36 -0500 (EST)
>  To: RDF interest group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
>  From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
>
> The RDF Terminology and Concepts note are now on the web:
>
> http://public.research.mimesweeper.com/RDF/RDFTerminologyConcepts.html

Thanks for that :-)

This gives us a concrete target for pedantry and suggestions. Such as
the following:

"Web Resource" versus "RDF Resource" is not a distinction I care to
make. We identify resources "to", "for" and "in" the Web, not
"on" it: URIs have long allowed us to name so-called non-Web
resources. For example: telephone numbers, Java interfaces, intellectual
works / publications (ISBN, Handle etc), and the like can all be
identified as RDF=Web resources, despite not being "on" the Web.

By this I don't mean to claim that all W3C/IETF/etc documents that
appeal to a notion of 'Resource' relating to URIs are consistent. Just
that they should be, and that we shouldn't take as a goal the
articulation of a distinction between 'Web' versus 'RDF' resources.

Some related resources / context you might care to add to the doc:

http://www.w3.org/Help/siteindex
W3C site index / technology keywords

http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/Weaving/glossary.html
Glossary from 'Weaving the Web'.

http://www.w3.org/WCA/
Web Characterisation Initiative (historical interest)

http://www.w3.org/1999/05/WCA-terms/
Web Characterization Terminology & Definitions Sheet
W3C Working Draft 24-May-1999

HTTP-NG Activity Statement (historical interest)
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP-NG/Activity.html

http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-HTTP-NG-interfaces/
HTTP-NG Web Interfaces (an attempt to formalise our a notion of URIs,
resources etc in terms of a distributed object type hierarchy).

http://www.w3.org/Addressing/
Naming and Addressing: URIs, URLs, ...

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt  -- URIs

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html
-- for HTTP 1.1's notion of URI, 'resource', entity etc...

hope this helps,

Dan