RE: RDF Terminologicus

Hi Graham,

> I've started an HTML document with these in.  In reification
> of a graph,
> would you allow "collection" rather than "bag", to allow some
> wiggle room
> in the exact representation?

Right now, I'd probably say it should be a bag, but thats not as
negative as it sounds.  I think its important to position this
concept relative to the context concept you have been championing.

I divide these discussions into two tracks:

  o clarifying the current specs
  o future developments

The reification of a graph concept to me is in the clarifying the
current specs track.  To me, contexts are an important new
development.

I believe that contexts have extra semantics
over just being a collection of statements, that they need the
machinery of the logic layer - interpretations and that sort of
thing to do them properly.  The RDF layer alone does not have the
machinery  - all it can do are collections of statements.

So in terms of the RDF layer, a graph is an unordered collection
of statements.  BAG is the right construct for representing that.
SEQ and ALT just don't make sense.  Further, m&s talks about
description elements representing bags of reified statements which
maps nicely onto the language that those bags and their contents
are the reifications of the subgraphs defined by a description
element.

I share your concerns about the current definitions of bags - have
ordered properties for the members of an unordered collection just
seems bizare to me.  So I'd be sympathetic to a future spec defining
improved collections.  But right now BAG is what we have, so in terms
of working with the current spec, I think BAG is right.

Contexts will bring a much richer and powerful semantics.

Brian