RE: Semantic Web Hackings

From: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 18:51:56 +0000
To: "Jason Diamond" <jason@injektilo.org>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 06:20 PM 12/31/00 -0800, Jason Diamond wrote:
>I'm a programmer. I don't care about the meaning of mozzarella or even how
>fast Len gets his pizza delivered. If I'm going to implement something, it
>has to be implementable. In this case, all I need is a function that takes
>in a mailto URI and gives me back an http URI so that I can execute this
>magic query you keep talking about.

Actually there's some interesting stuff happening in the IETF that might
help here, under the auspices of the URN working group:  look for DDDS stuff.

One proposed DDDS mechanism uses DNS NAPTR records to map an input string
to an arbitrary URI.

This is currently being used for telephone number mapping
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/enum-charter.html) but is applicable to
other kinds of URL discovery.

Graham Klyne