RE: Semantic Web Hackings

From: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 18:51:56 +0000
To: "Jason Diamond" <jason@injektilo.org>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 06:20 PM 12/31/00 -0800, Jason Diamond wrote:
>I'm a programmer. I don't care about the meaning of mozzarella or even how
>fast Len gets his pizza delivered. If I'm going to implement something, it
>has to be implementable. In this case, all I need is a function that takes
>in a mailto URI and gives me back an http URI so that I can execute this
>magic query you keep talking about.

Actually there's some interesting stuff happening in the IETF that might
help here, under the auspices of the URN working group:  look for DDDS stuff.

   http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/urn-charter.html

One proposed DDDS mechanism uses DNS NAPTR records to map an input string
to an arbitrary URI.

This is currently being used for telephone number mapping
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/enum-charter.html) but is applicable to
other kinds of URL discovery.

#g

Graham Klyne