Re: Semantic Web Hackings

From: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 18:16:46 +0000
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 07:42 AM 12/29/00 -0500, Dan Brickley wrote:
>We claim RDF is good at merging data from multiple sources; in my
>experience this is true. The current discussion suggests a crude taxonomy
>of RDF data aggregation mechanisms:
>
>(1) out-out-of-the-box aggregation ("naive graph merge")
>     All RDF systems do this, by virtue of using URIs for identifiers
>     to merge data from multiple sources.
>
>(2) 2nd pass node convergence ("data smushing")
>     As discussed above, strategies that merge together RDF from multiple
>     sources in such a way as to figure out (in some cases) where
>     anonymously-mentioned resources are descriptions of the same thing.

This is very reminiscent of the points that Pat Hayes Raised on the RDF
logic list...  and places they might lead:

Original comments at:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2000Oct/0112.html
Some later clarification:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2000Oct/0122.html
Some of my thoughts:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2000Nov/0008.html

>(3) Fancy Semantic Web inference stuff ("don't hold your breath...")
>     As above but drawing additional conclusions based on complex rules
>     and re-application of (2).
>

> From where I'm standing, (1) seems really handy, (2) is critical to
>deploying this stuff in the grubby real world where things don't have
>URIs, and (3) is, er, something to keep an eye on.
>
>My working hypothesis (FOAF etc., more on which another time) is that (2),
>ie. basic techniques for folding RDF data together even when URIs are
>scarse, is enough to build something pretty cool.  Sure we have to make
>some simplifying assumptions, but then that's what the Web's all about...

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)