Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 16:35:31 -0500
From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Subject: Announcement: W3C Launches Semantic Web Activity

Dear Advisory Committee Representative,

W3C is pleased to announce the creation of the Semantic
Web Activity http://www.w3.org/2001/sw .

This decision is the result of the
Semantic Web Activity Proposal call

 [...]

W3C is establishing this Activity based in part on the
positive response of members, which encouraged W3C to

1. proceed in creating this activity with a new Working Group,
2. renew the RDF Interest Group, and
3. establish an advanced technology development project

We received a large number of comments on the Activity Proposal
during the review period and have revised the plan accordingly.

Specifically, we have decided to combine the near-term work to
address open issues on the RDF model, syntax, and schema into a
single Working Group.

Due to the significant interest from various groups within
and outside W3C in technologies relevant to the Semantic Web,
we are chartering a Semantic Web Coordination Group to manage
dependencies between W3C working groups using RDF, to provide
liaison with selected groups outside of W3C, and to charter
additional Working Groups within the scope of the Activity.

The Semantic Web Activity initially contains the following groups:

  RDF Core WG
  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCoreWGCharter

  RDF Interest Group
  http://www.w3.org/RDF/IGcharter

  Semantic Web Coordination Group
  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/CGcharter

The RDF Core WG is chartered through March 2002.
The RDF Interest Group is chartered through March 2003.
The Semantic Web Coordination Group is chartered through
March 2003.

In addition, an advanced technology development project
will develop open source Semantic Web infrastructure components
consistent with W3C's Live Early Adoption and Demonstration practice.
A more specific project plan for the advanced development work
will be distributed prior to the May Advisory Committee meeting.

The Activity Statement
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Activity
contains a general overall description of the Activity. The
team effort allocated is one Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
Activity Lead responsible for the Semantic Web Coordination Group
and staff contact to the Working group and Interest Group;
1.5 FTE participating in RDF Core WG, 1.5 FTE participating
in the RDF IG, and 3 FTE for advanced development (including Fellows).

[...]

We are especially pleased to announce that the Activity Lead
for the Semantic Web Activity will be Eric Miller, em@w3.org.
Eric has been a key contributor to the RDF work on behalf of
OCLC and the Digital Library community from its inception and
brings a wealth of contacts with a variety of other communities
as well.  Eric will be joining the W3C Team as of February 26.

The creation of this activity follows Section 3.1 of the
W3C Process Document:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Process-19991111/activities.html#Activi
tyCreation

AC Representatives may watch for the RDFCore Working Group
Call for Participation to follow shortly.

We would like to thank those of you who have provided their
input both on the review and the W3C-ac-forum mailing lists.

Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director
mailto:timbl@w3.org

Introducing: Eric Miller, Semantic Web Activity Lead
mailto:em@w3.org