Re: Slim RDF

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:39:19 +0100
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
CC: RDF Interest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Sergey Melnik wrote:

> Following the recent discussion on wrt syntax and namespaces I'd like to
> mention the internal data model based on RDF that I'm using in my
> research:
>
> Let U be the Unicode alphabet and U* the set of strings defined over U.
> The set of entities E and the set of statements V are defined using the
> following recursive definition:
>
> 1. U*xU* is subset of E (any tuple consisting of two strings is an
> entity; the first string of the tuple is called namespace of the entity,
> the second string is referred to as name of the entity)
>
> 2. ExExE is subset of V (every tuple of three entities constitutes a
> statement)
>
> 3. V is subset of E (every statement is an entity)
>
> A subset of V is called "model". Without reification, E=U*xU* and V=E^3.
>
> The set of literals L is defined as L = {"urn:rdf:literal"} x U* (i.e.
> literals are resources and can be used as subjects of statements). Other
> primitive data types are handled similarly, e.g. ("urn:rdf:literal","5")
> != ("urn:rdf:integer","5").
>
> Notice that namespaces are first-class citizens. Resource ("xyz","")
> 'reifies' namespace "xyz", so that statements about primitive classes
> like the class of literals are possible.

I agree it does.
But why do you bother with { namespace, name } pairs, when the RDF model is about URIs ?

Well I know it is also about literals,
but it seems that you boldly pushed literals in the resource pool,
which is all right to me, I must say.

I know too that the RDF syntax in recomended in M&S is about namespaces and names,
but this is a syntactical issue only.
In the end, triples are only made of URIs, namespaces do not count.

 Or do they ?

  Pierre-Antoine Champin

--
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the
universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.