data: URI and resource

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:03:40 +0000
To: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Cc: RDF interest group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 08:00 PM 2/14/01 -0600, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>Data URIs don't refer to resources -- they simply are the resources that one
>would normally expect a URI to refer to. Therefore, I don't think data: URIs
>need to be explicitly excluded since they do happen to be resources, just
>different than what we'd normally expect.

I think it's flawed to say a data:  URI *is* the resource.  RFC2396
describes a resource as a conceptual mapping from a URI to one or more
entities.  A data: URI describes and embodies that mapping, and as such it
is a self contained description of the resource, but that is not the same
as _being_ the resource.

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org