Re: does RDF require understanding all 82 URI schemes?

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:26:12 -0600
To: Bill de hOra <bill@dehora.fsnet.co.uk>, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
CC: RDF interest group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Bill de hOra <bill@dehora.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Now those data:, URIs can be matched. But actually, I'm referring to a
> different Aaron Swartz altogether. But they've been conflated by virtue of
> having identical URIs. That's unfortunate, and it is also lossy.

You're missing what I'm saying.

A data: URI should not be meant to represent a resource other than the set
of characters it includes.

That is:

<data:,Aaron%20Swartz> does not represent me. It merely represents the
characters: "Aaron Swartz".

This is what the data: RFC says, and this is how the URI scheme should be
used.

A data: URI represents what it contains -- nothing more, nothing less.

The problems only come when you attach a semantic meaning to the URIs, which
you shouldn't (even if you can).