Re: does RDF require understanding all 82 URI schemes?

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 04:18:38 -0000
To: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>, "Dave Beckett" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, "David Megginson" <david@megginson.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
> Of course the problem with using this URI for XML Schema is
> that the URI XML Schema specifies is:
> http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema .

But aren't http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema and
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema# completely equivalent when it comes to
using them for XML Schema processing? A Schema with # on the end of it
should be treated exactly the same as one without... but in RDF you
concatenate the properties on to the end, so they become different. In
other words, I think that using the XSD namespace with a # on the end of
should be allowable in XSD. Is it? Do processors still grok it correctly?

> If RDF has a different notion of namespaces than the rest of XML,

It just has an odd method of using them... but you *cannot* restrict people
to using a few special characters at the end of their RDF namespaces,
because you could have alphanumeric strings that when concatenated, still
point to the correct URI representation of a property.

*Rule*: A namespace is any URI allowable in the XML Names specification.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer