Re: does RDF require understanding all 82 URI schemes?

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 12:45:22 +0000
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
>>>David Megginson said:
> On the contrary, I believe that RDF should treat URIs as opaque
> strings.

I agree with that and indeed this works fine in RDF systems I have
used.  In Redland[1] I have a URI class that allows you to create
URIs from parts (relative to base URI for URIs that follow the
hierarchy style) but has no methods to sub-divide them.

There might be a few methods required on an URI in an RDF system to
get the fragment (#foo) since I think that's outside the opaque part
or maybe the URI scheme (http: etc) but I've never needed them yet.

I feel it might be needed for serialisation of the RDF graph to
RDF/XML, but I haven't implemented that yet.

Dave
[1] http://www.redland.opensource.ac.uk/