Re: RDF/XML Syntax Specification (Revised) W3C Working Draft published

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:02:02 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Mike:
> > I either have to
> > preprocess my own internal vocabulary into RDF, doing the expansion
> pre-RDF, or
> > define some rules to post-process the RDF model to make the inferences I
> require.
>

> My understanding of why we are wanting to drop aboutEach is twofold:
>
> 1: aboutEach (with file scope) is a preprocess-ing instruction. Really, it
> is more useful to have the triples explicit in the model, and to be able to
> manipulate the generalization explicitly.
>
> 2: even as a preprocess-ing instruction it is problematic.

Yes. As a wierd and slightly buggy pre-processing instruction, it might be
almost harmless. My main problem with it is that aboutEach gives the
impression that it is far more useful than it is, and sets people off down
a rather unrewarding path.

My concerns are mostly written up in,
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Nov/0532.html fwiw.

Dan