RE: n3/n-triples syntax question

From: Graham Moore <gdm@empolis.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 09:27:58 -0000
To: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Cc: "Lars Marius Garshol" <larsga@garshol.priv.no>

Thomas Passin wrote:

> Now that's interesting in view of the topic map approach.
> Topic maps have
> some rules that allow merging of topics, even when maps are
> merged.  There
> is also a mechanism that can prevent merging accross maps if
> one sees fit.
> Basically, if two topics are known to represent the same
> "subject" they
> would be mergedONe way that can be known - in topic maps - is
> if they share
> the same name (read "label") and the shared names also share
> the same set of
> scopes.

While the TopicNaming constraint - the one described above - is *a* way
to merge topics I found that this mechanism can quickly become
complicated and unusable. In best practice Topics should be merged based
on either their SubjectIndicatorReference or ResourceReference values -
the identity. This is just an opinion - Lars whats your experience on
this issue?

graham