Re: Announcing RESTwiki (fwd)

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:16:14 -0400 (EDT)
To: danbri@w3.org (Dan Brickley)
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Hey Dan,

> I've recently been experimenting with SOAP interfaces for RDF query
> protocols; while it works (the Python and Perl SOAP libraries made things
> quite easy for me as a developer), I have some worries about the way SOAP
> uses HTTP (eg. all my queries get represented as HTTP POSTs, where the
> cacheable GET would make more sense). The RESTwiki seems like a good place
> to record these experiments; I hope to make time to do that in the near
> future.

I agree.  Good idea.

One REST-friendly way of executing and representing complex queries over HTTP
POST (those that can't reasonably be url-encoded) that I came up with is as
follows.

- query document is POSTed to a /query resource
- POST response returns response code 201 (Created) with a body containing
a link to a newly created resource (say, /query/result/3248374)
- GETs on that new resource return the query results

MB