Re: On the integration of Topic Maps and RDF

At 06:19 PM 8/10/2001 -0700, Martin Lacher wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>please excuse cross-postings of this.
>I presented a paper "on the integration of Topic Maps and RDF" at last
>week's Semantic Web Workshop at Stanford and would like to hear your opinion
>on our approach to this problem. You can download the paper at
>http://www.semanticweb.org/SWWS/program/full/paper53.pdf. We provide a way
>to make Topic Map sources RDF-queriable by exchanging one layer in a layered
>data model stack. The exchange is essentially a mapping of graph
>characteristics. The result is an RDF Model, "pretending" to be a Topic Map.
>
>Martin

Hi Martin, Stefan,

I very much enjoyed reading this paper, as it has continued to support a
growing recognition regarding the relationship of RDF and TopicMaps that I
believe many are starting to share.  I don't consider this "pretending" at
all, but rather an important step in articulating the vocabulary and
process defined by the Topic Maps community in terms of a formal data model
for the web. And as such (as you show) benefiting from this grounding by
effectively leveraging tools and technologies designed for supporting this
model.

It seems to me there could be a couple different interpretations in
modeling topic maps in this way.  Have you received any feedback from the
Topic Map community on your particular representation?

Now... where can we get some of that instance data :)

semantic web activity lead               mailto:em@w3.org
w3c world wide web consortium            tel:1.614.763.1100
200 technology square, ne43-350          fax:1.208.330.5213
cambridge, ma 02139 usa