RE: Summary of the QName to URI Mapping Problem

Or that RDF can reasonably expect folks to buy into such an
arbitrary requirement which is only needed for RDF because
it refuses to maintain the distinct identity inherent in
different QNames as defined by the XML Namespace spec.

IMO, XML Namespaces "outranks" RDF and therefore RDF must
toe-the-line insofar as what the XML Namespace defines; and
if it doesn't, then the XML community at large is not going
to like RDF too much.

> Patrick
> Stickler has shown this using his(?) urn:partax: scheme

Just for the record, it is a fictitious URI scheme that I created
to demonstrate the problems inherent in the present mapping function
(though it is IMO a very nice scheme and I may very well end up using
something like it in the future...)

> ...Now Dan
> may have no interest in using such URI schemes for namespaces,

I get the impression that, because this is a not a problem that
impacts the current work of the majority of those involved with
the official definition of RDF, it is being treated as a non-issue.

Now, to some extent, "them's fightin words", and I don't wish
to offend or enflame, but it's an honest impression, and one
that concerns me.

> but the point is that RDF should allow statements to be made
> about resources with any style of URI.  Unfortunately, the
> current XML syntax only supports the use of QNames with a
> namespace having a '#'-friendly URI scheme.

This is what I mean by "discrimination" against URI schemes.

Regards,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler                      Phone:  +358 3 356 0209
Senior Research Scientist             Mobile: +358 50 483 9453