Re: anonymous nodes

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:48:01 -0700
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, <scranefield@infoscience.otago.ac.nz>, <sean@mysterylights.com>
From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>

> But that's not the same thing as not requiring that *whatever* URI is
> used to identify a person, *some* URI is used -- rather than some
> template of properties that get's hung off an anonymous node and
> which potentially can ambiguously match resources not equivalent
> to that intended.

No comment.

> Uhhhh...  let's not get started on that old name versus location
> flamefest again...  The above URL is a location, not a name (or
> at best, it's the name of a location ;-)

Ok, let's not get started .. I think you and I have already come down on the
same side of that debate anyway.

> Should? Who says so? What paragraphs of the RDF or RDF Schema specs
> say so? How can I trust that all systems based on the RDF or SW
> standards in general will do so? Just because that's what *should*
> happen does not mean that is what *must* happen according to the
> standards or what *does* happen in a given system.

I didnt know that RDF had defined a query standard.

> The SW will only be as good as the standards that define it.

Well, you and I work differently.  Personally I doubt that standards will
have anything much to do with the semantic web catching on.  Producing
effective tools, imho, is still the the only way to make things work ...
making standards is just flapping your mouth.  Think about it .. maybe
everybody's seeming obsession with these standards instead of making tools
is what is holding us back.

Let the best tools win!

Seth Russell